Paris Catacombs: Guided Tour
Discover the labyrinth of the Paris Catacombs with a guide. Skip the ticket line and uncover the secrets of the world’s largest underground burial site. Unearth the macabre and mysterious underbelly of Paris as you walk past the mysterious network of skeletal remains and learn about their legends and stories.
- Learn the history and legends of the Catacombs from an expert guide
- Descend 20 meters below the streets to explore the Paris Catacombs
- Get to know why the remains of over 6 million people were transported underground in the 18th century
- Understand the history of legendary struggles and triumphs
ABOUT THIS ACTIVITY
- FREE cancellation: Cancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
- Mobile ticketing: Use your phone or print your voucher
- Duration options: 2 hours: Check availability to see starting times.
- Skip the ticket line
- Live tour guide: English
- Small group available
Join your knowledgeable, informative guide on this tour through the underground passages and special rooms of the Catacombs. Get the most out of your visit as you listen to unique insights from your guide and together, navigate this dark but curious space.
Learn the intriguing stories of those who worked, visited, and have been laid to rest here over the centuries, including the secret societies who still visit today. Discover the history of the labyrinthian passages, from how they were initially mined for limestone to how they are now home to the bones of more than 6 million former Parisians.
The remains that you’ll walk past were carefully moved here in the 18th century, in a discreet operation to transfer them from the unclean and overflowing cemeteries of the city center.
- Paris Catacombs guided tour
- Access to Paris Catacombs
- Live tour guide
Not Suitable For
- People with mobility impairments
- People with claustrophobia
- People with heart problems
- Wheelchair users
- People with respiratory issues
This tour meets just in front of the entrance to the Catacombs. The guide will be wearing a Fat Tire Tours shirt/jacket and holding a sign. The closest metro is Denfert-Rochereau on line 6 or line 4.
Know Before You Go
- There are 130 steps to enter the catacombs and 112 steps to exit
- The catacombs are 65 feet (20 meters) underground and the tunnels are narrow in places
- The tunnels can be slippery and remain at a temperature of around 57°F (14°C), even in summer
- Only 200 visitors are allowed in the tunnels at any one time. If numbers reach a maximum, the catacombs staff reserve the right to hold the entry lines until there is sufficient space
- Luggage or large bags
What To Bring
- Comfortable shoes
- Warm clothing